Monday, May 2, 2011

What Would Jesus Do? He Wouldn't High Five.

Osama bin Laden is dead, killed by Special Forces Navy SEALs at his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.  And many across the country are celebrating.  Rejoicing.

This is where the divine radioactive core of my Catholicism radiates and surprises even me.  As Catholics, we get a lot wrong.  A lot.  From pedophilia, to opulence, to archaic dogma.  But this is something we get right every time:  violence begets violence.  Murder begets murder.  No abortion.  No capital punishment.  Life is valued.  All life.  Period.

Yes, there should be consequences for terrorists who revel in slaughtering 'the infidels'.  When Osama and Company chose to target the United States that fateful morning in September, they made a conscious choice, a premeditated decision to kill thousands of people.  There should be repercussions.  But blatantly celebrating the demise of another human being, no matter how reprehensible and repugnant seems childish and petty, unenlightened and unevolved.

I know the logical question would be, "Well, Miss Mamby-Pamby-Gandhi-Granola-Girl, what would you do if someone was threatening your child or husband or close friend?"  I'd do whatever was necessary to protect my loved one, even if that meant wielding a fatal blow to another human being.  But I would never rejoice in taking a life. 

There is recompense and then there is relishing.  It's my hope that we don't continue to confuse the two.

1 comment:

  1. I heartily concur! Loved the Vatican statement released yesterday.

    ReplyDelete